11 April 2011

eggs & hydrangeas & ivy

A happy little surprise. Yes, that's what I'd call this.

One of The Hubby's friends raises chickens and geese on his acreage and generously shares them with all who are interested.

We provide all the compost we can along with $2 and, in return, we receive a dozen eggs. Or in this case, the equivalent of a dozen eggs. That huge egg is a goose egg. I'd count that as two eggs, wouldn't you? Each week we receive a different offering. My favorite are the blue ones, which are sadly absent from this photo.

In related news: after doing an intense backyard flower bed scour, I discovered that we have (according to a knowledgeable neighbor) a soon-to-be-blue hydrangea living by the back gate. Hydrangeas need a bit of an acidic boost to turn blue, so we are saving eggshells and coffee grounds to add to its soil.

There is something pleasing and cyclical when I realize that my blue eggshells may help "blue" my hydrangea.

Also, I am covered head to toe in poison ivy blisters as a result of my overly ambitious gardening activities. I have been to Urgent Care twice and am doped up on steroids and pain medications. I look like a leper.

I miss the (poison-ivy-free) desert.

No comments: