29 April 2011

13 good things right now

1. We are experiencing serious potty training success. Actually, we have been for about a month, but I didn't want to say anything until it seemed like it was going to stick. Friends, it's sticking. I felt high and happy after the first few days of successful potty training because there were days, weeks when I thought I would be sending my child to college in diapers. It appears this will not be the case. I feel about 20 pounds lighter.

2. I have a new niece! Emmalyn Grace was born yesterday and she is healthy and happy. Also, my neighbor had a baby girl, too: Sophie Quinn. Love.

3. Our neighborhood flowerbeds are teeming with poppies, bleeding hearts, irises and all sorts of beautiful eye candy. (This is where I should insert a photo, I know. Friends, I'm working on it.)

4. A stack of delicious CDs from the library: John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington, Gustav Mahler's symphony No. 6, Stravinsky's le sacre du printemps, Debussy's preludes, lovely things for our ears.

5. 64 oz. Ball jars from the local hardware store. I had only been able to find them online and the shipping was atrocious. My pantry is organized. For now.

6. A new reading lamp for my girl. Also found at the local hardware store. I'm pretty sure it's actually a brooder lamp, but I've also seen them used in my art class and on construction sites. They come with a handy clip so they can go almost anywhere. $9.50!

7. A gift of a potted purple hyacinth.

8. The right book in my hands at the right time. Specifically, "The Art of Eating" by M.F.K. Fisher. More specifically, the section called "The Gastronomical Me."

9. Plans for trips to Gettysburg and Maine are progressing nicely.

10. Ideas for two new articles.

11. It's smoothie season!

12. I've figured out a way to MacGuyver my yogurt machine so that I can make larger quantities of yogurt instead of making a new batch every three days. Now, I only make it once a week.

13. It's Friday!

No comments: