26 January 2011

solution

So, ahem, let's just say that my first winter in Virginia, after spending the previous four in beautiful, sun-drenched Tucson, has been a bit trying in the fitness department.

I was doing great until Thanksgiving: enjoying the running trails while pushing the BOB, taking long exploratory walks downtown, trekking to the river.

And then it got cold.

And I am a girl who needs to exercise. I need to sweat and move and burn energy. Otherwise, I am VERY unhappy. So, I wandered around for a while hoping the cold snap (that is to say, winter) would pass quickly. That has yet to happen.

However, the need to workout remained.

And like everybody else in the world, I've got to work within my restrictions:
1. The Hubby gets up really early to go to work. It is not physically possible to get up before him to workout.
2. I've got a child that needs constant supervision.
3. I am allergic to gyms.
4. I really didn't want to spend a billion dollars on a treadmill. (I did that once and then quickly returned it to the store because using a treadmill was the opposite of happy)
5. By the time The Hubby returns from work it is dark and much colder.

Happily, we found a solution. It's called the Kinetic Road Machine Fluid Bike Trainer. I just hook up my road bike and go, go, go while the babe sleeps. It's lovely. I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car. I don't have to wear a helmet. And it's quiet enough that I can bike in the room next to the babe so I can hear her if she needs me.

I've been using it for three weeks and I feel so much better.

No comments: