24 January 2011

bread alone

Without really meaning to, I have somehow started making all the bread that my family eats. This began as a sort of dalliance many months ago. Now, it's something that I do regularly. And it's all thanks to this book:
I enjoy making the free-form loaves, but I most often make pan loaves. And while they recommend making a large batch of dough and then making loaves as you need it, I find it much easier to make a large batch of dough and then make all the bread at once. I just freeze what we aren't planning to use immediately.

The most common bread I make is the soft whole wheat sandwich bread because my husband can take it to work. I've been intentionally trying new recipes as of late: quinoa bread and the mixed berry bread last week. I'm planning on the whole wheat flaxseed this week. Oh, and I use their basic whole wheat recipe to make (and freeze) pizza crust for five pizzas.

It makes baking yeast bread totally accessible. I've tried traditional bread baking in the past with no success but lots of frustration. This is a simple, easy method to make yeast bread. And it's delicious.

What are you up to in your kitchen?

No comments: